gedit is a freeware open-souce text editor for GNOME, Mac OS X and Windows platforms with Unicode support. The gedit product is distributed on the GNU General Public License conditions. In scope of the GNOME project, the tool is translated on tens of languages, including French, German and Italian.
Primary gedit features
gedit contains several peculiar capabilities, which are worth to be enlightened further. Here they are:
- the usage of tabs;
- support of various encodings, including Unicode;
- the syntax highlight for a range of programming languages and markup;
- spell checking;
- line numbers;
- the highlight of an active line;
- the text search and replace functionality;
- switch to the user-defined line;
- customizable colors and fonts, used by the editor;
- printing with the preview capability;
- automatic line-break to the specified position;
- the highlight of appropriate opening and closing brackets;
- automatic saving of file objects backup copies prior to modification;
- the support of the plugins.
Due to the support of additional plugins, the functional abilities of the word processor can be severely extended. Here’s the small list of miscellaneous functions, made possible through the manipulation with the external modules:
- using the utility as an IDE for C/C++/Python, etc.;
- multi-editing of the docs;
- addition of express panel for a new tab with document thumbnails;
- a multitude of options for the developers.
The program tool supports the mentioned further text formats: txt, ascii, log, ltr, odm, readme, text, asc, 1st, ans, apt, chart, chord, crwl, diz, err, faq, dsc, gthr, hht, klg, lst, man, me, nfo, now, openbsd, rpt, rtx, sms, sub, unx, utf8, vnt, wtx, xdl. To get acquainted with the utility closer, just download gedit for free from the official web-page and enjoy the daily usage of this ultimate multi-featured application.