Notepad++ is another one alternative to Microsoft NotePad word processor with advanced functions and extended abilities. The Notepad++ product will be especially useful for web-developers and the representatives of IT-area, as far as it contains such required features, as syntax folding and syntax highlighting, in addition to the embedded library of most used commands for PHP, Pearl, HTML, JS and other programming languages.
Primary Notepad++ features
Notepad++ is an open-source product, but that doesn’t reduce the wide spectrum of its capabilities. Here’s the quick review of most important of them:
- the GUI-shell is totally customizable and configurable;
- the document map is available to navigate through the chapters and contents of the text;
- internal auto-completion mechanism. When you start typing the code word, the tool will suggest several possible variants of the entire word or phrase, so you may only make a selection among the suggested options and go on with your work process. Several variants of Auto-completion tools are available: function parameters hint, function completion and word completion;
- multi-document. This feature can be described as simultaneous work over several documents at the same time, located on distinct tabs;
- WYSIWYG mechanics, which is presented due to the special design and usability;
- Zoom out and zoom in. With this feature you will always be able to increase the font size, if it is hard for you to see the small letters and punctuation signs;
- Multi-language environment supported. You can apply a different language view of the main app menu and the common interface;
- Macro playback and recording. This feature will suit, if you often use identical combination of commands and hotkeys.
In order to download Notepad++ for free, just navigate to the official web-site and find the “Download” section up there. The Notepad++ supports the following file extensions: txt, htm, html, ascii, log, ltr, odm, readme, text, asc, 1st, ans, apt, chart, chord, crwl, diz, err, faq, dsc, gthr, hht, klg, lst, man, me, nfo, now, openbsd, rpt, rtx, sms, sub, unx, utf8, vnt, wtx, xdl.